Part 1: Trans Feminist Activism
January 18th, 2023
Part 2: Sex Worker Feminist Activism
January 25th, 2023
Anti-sex work and anti-trans “feminists” are well-organized, funded and legitimized right-wing forces. They oppose the political enfranchisement of trans people and sex workers and are influential forces behind the expansion of policing, militarized border enforcement and the prison system.
What if more feminists and leftists actually took seriously that TERFs and SWERFs are a threat to democracy, justice, and to left movements– and were prepared to fight back?
In this two-part series, brilliant sex worker and trans feminists will share how they analyze and resist fascism posing as mainstream feminism.
In part 2, we’ll talk to people involved in local and global movements for sex worker’s rights to learn more about how myths about human trafficking and other narratives used to repress sex workers act as tools for a far right agenda. We’ll explore how leftist sex workers are successfully resisting fascist ”feminism.” Where are these battles being fought and what important gains are being won? Where are we seeing/seeding solidarity between sex worker and trans feminists and the broader left?
You can register for this circle as an individual offering but we strongly encourage you to register for Part 1: Toward a Trans Feminism, where we’ll hear more from sex workers on these same themes.
* TERFs and SWERFs are acronyms for Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminists and Sex Worker-Exclusionary Radical Feminists. These terms have historically been used to refer to people who support the goals of radical feminism but don’t extend their support to trans people or sex workers, believing that they contribute to the oppression of women.
Participants will leave with….
- A sharper understanding of how anti-trans and anti-sex worker agendas are a threat to democracy and a force behind other right-wing movements.
- An analysis of how SWERFs and TERFs are being organized and funded in the U.S. and abroad.
- New strategies and ideas for how to uproot fascist influences within feminist circles and other leftist movements.
- Recommendations from trans and sex worker organizers on how to support and act in solidarity with these communities.
This program is ideal for...
- People engaged in or interested in any form of movement-building, organizing or cultural work on issues related to women’s rights, gender justice, reproductive freedom and/or trans justice.
- Anyone seeking to understand current movements to decriminalize sex work and other sex worker-led movements.
- Anyone seeking to understand the impacts of anti-trans agendas globally and what strategies are being used to counter them.
- People currently involved in sex worker and trans rights movements interested in building international solidarity on these issues.
What do you do to prepare?
Please choose a location with a strong internet connection, where you are able to speak and listen comfortably. You’ll need a laptop or desktop computer, and headphones.
Access requests can be made by emailing Dustin at dustin at peopleshub dot org, including ASL interpretation. The space itself will be access-centered in how we respond to the needs of each other by working collectively with the facilitator and tech support lead to ensure access for all of us.
Issues with Registration?
If you have questions about this offering or technical needs registering for this event, please contact registration support.
What’s a Rich Text element?
The rich text element allows you to create and format headings, paragraphs, blockquotes, images, and video all in one place instead of having to add and format them individually. Just double-click and easily create content.
Static and dynamic content editing
A rich text element can be used with static or dynamic content. For static content, just drop it into any page and begin editing. For dynamic content, add a rich text field to any collection and then connect a rich text element to that field in the settings panel. Voila!
How to customize formatting for each rich text
Headings, paragraphs, blockquotes, figures, images, and figure captions can all be styled after a class is added to the rich text element using the "When inside of" nested selector system.
Free! Though we appreciate donations from those who can afford to do so. At PeoplesHub we are committed to communication access, radical hospitality, supporting facilitators, and making our offerings financially accessible. Donations allow us to continue offering programs like this one and pay speakers, tech support leads, interpreters, captioners, and other support staff a fair wage for their time and expertise. Like you, those who support our trainings work hard for change in their communities and have often developed the knowledge, skill and gifts that they are offering through many unpaid hours — let’s support them to be sustainable in their work and craft!